Throughout this series it is my intention to share things to help you to build better habits. Some days the habit I talk about is something you may not need and some days you may need it badly. This particular habit is a key habit that EVERYONE needs in their life on a daily basis.
We have all been there. That moment when our eyes open and we reach for the Bible on the bedside table and then there is a scream or a cry or an "I need you mom!" or "I need you honey!" and then, in a split second, you move past the Bible and full force into your day whether you wanted to or not. It has been my experience in these times that I don't go back to it and I move through my whole day and sometimes weeks at a time without opening that Bible except for Sunday mornings at church.
So, how do you avoid this scenario? How do you make time with Jesus the priority during the very first moments of the day?
What does God's Word Say?
In God's word there is a passage called the Shema (Hear, O Israel) section in Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (ESV)
The Priority of Scripture in Our Days
- You have to be intentional.
- You have to make it a priority above all else.
- You have to anticipate the road block before it happens and have a contingency plan.
- You HAVE to spend time with God!
I have developed ways over the years to make this happen for me and it varies with the phase of life I have been in at the time. Anything can get in the way... from waking up late for college classes and having a full study schedule to having a newborn in the house or school mornings where nothing is going right to sick kids, early rising kids, lost socks and shoes, nothing to pack for lunches unless you make leftovers of bread and fish multiply, and so forth.
One of the first things I had to learn was to make my Bible/God's Word available...
* Have the Bible or study right there... next to the bed and ready to go before my feet even hit the floor or shortly after the bathroom trip ends.
* I have also had a designated chair that I move to as soon as the coffee is poured in the cup and I plant myself there to make it happen.
* I have had Bibles scattered around the house and left open so that when I would sit with a crying or nursing baby I could read it readily.
* I have utilized technology in recent years and one of my most recent favorites is to listen to God's word being read to me on my YouVersion Bible App on either my NOOK, Computer or phone. I have actually been bathing in it this year as I read the Bible in a Year plan on that app. I have had God's word read to me every day this year and I love that!
* I have put scripture reading on my i-pod to listen to while I walk.
* There are verses on note cards or sticky notes around the house.
* We have art with scripture in it or screen savers with verses on our computers and phones.
How sweet are they words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through they precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
What are ways you have been able to fit God's Word into your day that might not be that conventional?
Are you an early morning reader or do you have another time of day you prefer to study?
For further reading...
6 Habits Every Christian Should Develop
Check out more posts on habits here...